In July 2015, I took the "Wake-up Cup" 1-day workshop with Sandra Bruce thru scvqa.org and the class project has been a UFO since then, sitting in a artist box with the many of the fabrics (I had to pull some out to use them for other projects).
Well, my new local guild had Sandra as a guest speaker in April and we added a 2-day workshop with her this past weekend. I shared my spot with a friend - she took the first day (to learn the technique), and I took Sunday to continue on my project as I should be as far as the rest of the class by then.
Yes, it cost me $75 but it was so worth it: Full day of entertainment; friends and a refresher in the "material matrix" technique.
When I joined the class on Sunday, I had 3 rows finished - 5 to go. When leaving the class, I had the 5th row, and the 9-patch in the right bottom corner done. And now I was determined to finish. Recharged with the refresher of the technique, and seeing that it moves when you focus and do "one-point-at-a-time" as I say in tennis - 'one square at a time". And not having sewn for a while with the 2 weeks of guests, and then a week in Santa Clara prepping for districts in tennis, I was hungry to sew.
Monday: Tennis in the morning, another full row plus the remainder of row 6, guild program meeting in the afternoon.
Tuesday: another row and 1/2, tennis, and finishing all squares and redoing a couple that looked off (1D and 7C). And that is what the cutting table looks like with all the different fabrics in use.
Wednesday: cut backing, seamed batting, pinned, housework, tennis, quilted the top, made & attached binding to front, hand-sewn binding to back. Finite!!! Just look how much the quilting adds to this and of course the matched binding as an extension of the picture. I am just so pleased to have this finished and with the result.
What I noticed mostly after Sunday's refresher how much more comfortable I was with the project. I could really tell that I have learned a lot in the past 13-months: I wasn't afraid anymore to cut a small piece of fabric out of a brand-new fat quarter; fabric waste was such a difficult thing to do for me last year, now, I know that oversizing a bit, will be more accurate when trimming down; and then, my seams were much more accurate and confidently performed.
And I had the perfect backing material in my stash to use for this project:
Finishedl Size: 16"x20". Single binding (1.5"), white batting